Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me



DAY 1
I am one of the lucky ones who had a 3 day birthday celebration last weekend. I guess we deserve that every 40 years or so! Still recovering from my foot surgery, I haven't been going very many places. Before we begin this little narrative, I would like to say upfront, I DO NOT LIKE SURPRISES!!

Brad, however, pulled off a NICE surprise party on Saturday night which was quite miraculous, because he got me out of the house so the kids could set up the party, and I was actually dressed for the day - not in my pajamas!

I was not even a little bit suspicious when Brad spent the morning cleaning my kitchen and living room - you know the "Mom Clean" version? He even pulled out the Rainbow Vacuum and cleaned all the floors. I thought THAT was the birthday present:) But no - there was more to come! Next he had told me I should come with him to pick up Brooke from play practice that afternoon. Although I was almost finished with my book, Brad had worked some horrible hours this week, so I consented since I had not had a lot of time this week to visit with him. Then he mentioned it would be ok to take my book with us if I wanted to keep reading (WHAT?!?) I thought he wanted to visit! We picked up Brooke, were having a nice VISIT when Brad told me we needed to pick up my cake so we could take it to my mom's house for dinner the next day. I was a little confused because I had placed an order with my mom for my favorite Strawberry Cream Cheese Cake. Our next stop was Arctic Circle for the kids (we had promised them for a few nights) and that is when I got REALLY annoyed. I knew I didn't want Arctic Circle for dinner (the only thing good at Arctic Circle is milkshakes and fry sauce - not a great dinner choice), so I tried to get Brad to get Chinese Food for us. He told me we would take the food home to the kids and then go BACK out to get our food. Now I was ANNOYED! My foot was throbbing and I did not want to go all the way home and then back out again!! By the time we pulled up to our house, I had decided I was not going back out and I didn't even care if I had dinner that night. That is when I saw the cars in front of my house. When I walked in the kitchen there were two full tables set up with black tablewear and black balloons and streamers everywhere. Friends were there to greet me and more arrived shortly thereafter. I will have to say I was mighty surprised! Brad had assigned out all the food which was very yummy (much better than Chinese) and we had a great visit with friends. The Schroeders were able to come and one of the highlights of the night was for me was to see Traci WALKING!! There is hope for me yet!

(sorry we snapped this picture after Traci and Quint left)

DAY 2
Mom invited us to Sunday dinner the next day. I was a little worried about the long drive and my foot, but I put it up on the dashboard and made it ok. The dinner was VERY tasty and the visit even better! It was very nice to be there, and yes, Mom made my Strawberry Cake:) Thanks Mom!

DAY 3
The ACTUAL day of my birthday was nice too. Brad had taken the day off and so we enjoyed a nice day before going to get my hard cast removed later in the afternoon. I was so excited for the cast to be gone! Now I am in a walking boot, trying to again learn how to walk. I can't believe how great it is to have a "normal shaped" (albeit a little swollen, scarred, and scaly) foot! My calf is smaller than Allie's right now. We compared last night. I can't wait to be able to exercise and get some muscles back again.

Thanks to everyone who was apart of my birthday celebration!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I love it when someone is trying to do something nice for you, unbeknownst to you, and you act snotty. I am a pro at that.

Happy 40th.