Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Father's and Son's

Last weekend was the Father's and Son's for our ward. This year we went to the church property in Fairfield. This is the first time in several years that I have not had to plan it so it was nice to be able to just go and hang out. We played baseball, heard a lot of interesting stories, got to deal with about 40 cows being around us and some bad wind that around 1:30am woke most people up.

I made a couple of observations at camp. The first is there has never been a fire made in the presence of a boy under the age of 12 that didn't have a stick put in it. There must be something in the DNA of boys that makes them do this because they all do the same thing. They put the stick in the fire until it starts to smoke. Then they pull it out and I don't know if they think they are writing or sending smoke signals but it always goes in the air and is waved around until it stops smoking and then it is returned to the fire.

Second is that I am not sure this is a big bonding experience for dads and their sons because other than eating and bathroom breaks most of the boys leave their dads to take off exploring looking for trees to climb, rocks to throw or sticks to put in the fire. The dads all sit around telling stories about the mischief they got into when they were young. Remember, stories told at camp stay at camp.

The last thing I learned is with age comes wisdom. The high priests were in charge of breakfast. None of the high priest in charge of breakfast were in camp the next morning and they were supposed to serve at 8:00 so those who had baseball games at 9:00 could eat before leaving. With ten minutes to go the group showed up with bags of McDonald's breakfast burritos and sandwiches. Apparently they had been discussing a menu during the week and someone realized that they could have McDonald's make everything for about the same cost of buying all the ingredients but they wouldn't have to do any cooking. Everyone got fed and nobody had to cook or cleanup afterwards.

Camp was great but what will probably make this camp famous was the surprise we had at camp. I can't find words to describe this scene so I am just attaching a picture. Jared was one of 5 boys that I know of who had this picture taken. I think most of the boys will remember camp for this more than anything else.



~Brad

1 comment:

GinaM said...

When Brad sent this to me last Friday night, my comment was is this a REAL dead cow?? As you can see, Jared was quite amused as were the other boys who wanted to poke it and re-kill it with their firey sticks!